Welcome to our blog!

As we head south on our next adventure, we are hoping to keep in touch with you all be posting messages here. Hope you have fun following along!
Love, Erin, Jesse, Ella, Tajo and Lukas

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Life in Quito!

We are nearing our first week in Quito.. and it has been interesting to say the least... not quite what we expected on every level, but that is how traveling is, si? Our Spanish is going really well- fun, too as we are in the same class, so we can practice all together. The rest of the family wants to kick me out of class because they say I should be in a more advanced class, but I am really enjoying seeing them learn, too, and I get in my specific questions to challenge me when I can. I will be so excited if we can get to the point of understanding the taxi drivers and having true conversations in Spanish!

The soccer "school" the kids have been going to with Jesse is rather sad. There is a community field, which is completely dirt, broken bottles around the edges. There are about 30 kids who come every day, for two hours after school, but there is no structure, and all they want to do is scrimmage. Jesse is hoping they will warm to learning some drills and working on some skill work, but it is not exactly what he had hoped for our kids. They are more assistants than getting much out of it, yet!

I started at the daycare today, and wow, I am in a bit of shock seeing the conditions.. this daycare provides for 100 children age one to five, whose families live in dire conditions. They feed them, keep them clean, and offer some activities. The place is such a mess and has limited staff, so I know I am needed, but felt instantly frustrated by my lack of spanish to communicate with the staff. The kids have already stolen my heart, of course! Their smiles are contagious... they waved and called me 'amiga' right away, and I had cuddles galore within an hour.. I just wish I could give the place a good scrub and bring some good quality Montessori materials in there!!

Our apartment life is settling in, and we have figured out how to get around well. Quito is a big city, so we have not seen much of it. This weekend we will explore the old town which will charm us, I am sure.  The smog, garbage, graffiti and lack of recycling are all challenges, but will only make us appreciate Saltspring even more!!!

We are watching some great South American futbol, and hope to get to a big game this Sunday when the local Liga de Quito plays. They are the reigning South American champions, playing the second place team in Ecuador, so should be a good game. The fans and spectacle will be electric, I am sure.

Will post more after the weekend.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment