Welcome to our blog!

As we head south on our next adventure, we are hoping to keep in touch with you all be posting messages here. Hope you have fun following along!
Love, Erin, Jesse, Ella, Tajo and Lukas

Friday, February 25, 2011

Villa Ticca

Here is the link to the simple website about the daycare I have been volunteering at in Quito. Please watch the video at the bottom on the left, to get a real sense of what is is about:
http://www.villaticca.com/

The founder is here and I have met with her this week to hear about the current situation at the daycare. They are struggling to finance the program for the older kids, those who have graduated from the daycare and go to school now, but are invited to come after school, for a meal and help with homework. They want to continue to support these kids up to age 12, but do not have the financial resources to do so. They are looking at setting up a sponsorship program through their website, enabling people from all over the world to help one particular child throughout their years. I have taken the photos of these kids this week, to begin the process of sponsorship.

The founder also has hopes of turning the daycare program into a Montessori one, which is very exciting for me to hear! They have support from the one Montessori school in Quito, which serves poor kids in the north, and they hope to bring a trainer her in the next couple of years. I am glad to hear about their hopes and will track the progress from home. For now, I am hoping to help organize a work party from the spanish schools here, to repaint in the daycare, before I leave.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment